How to optimize the sport-study in Geneva for team sports, taking as a benchmark the educational system of different football academies in Europe ?

Mulhauser, Caroline ; Sterchi, Kurt (Dir.)

Mémoire de bachelor : Haute école de gestion de Genève, 2016 ; TDIBM 11.

Today, in Geneva (and in Switzerland), practicing a sport at a professional level, and continuing the studies, is something difficult to combine. Not all the young athletes, playing in an Elite Team, have the possibility to follow an adaptable sport-study program. The main problem that the sport-study is currently encountering is a question of budget. That’s why only the young athletes with a... More

Add to personal list
    Summary
    Today, in Geneva (and in Switzerland), practicing a sport at a professional level, and continuing the studies, is something difficult to combine. Not all the young athletes, playing in an Elite Team, have the possibility to follow an adaptable sport-study program. The main problem that the sport-study is currently encountering is a question of budget. That’s why only the young athletes with a “Swiss Olympic Talent Card” can accede to the post-mandatory school in the sport study program. However it is interesting to see that in Geneva (during the year 2012-2013), 732 young athletes had a Swiss Olympic Talent Card. Out of these 732 young people, 79 are enrolled in a secondary school in the sport study program, and 77 in the post-mandatory, which represent 21% of all the holders of the Swiss Olympic Talent Card. What are the other 79% doing? In order to compare the different educational system within sport organization it is easier to take into account only one specific sport. In this thesis, football will be the benchmark. Football is the most popular and accessible sport. Even if Switzerland does not have the most followed Championship, the country is one of the best in terms of promoting new generations of players and has a high potential of young talents. Between 28% and 36% of the players in the Swiss Championships (Super League and Challenge League) are under 21 years old. These numbers demonstrate the quality of the football development in Switzerland. However too many young players are quitting school because of a lack of measures that would enable them to combine their sport with their studies. The question this thesis will try to answer is how to optimize the sport-study in Geneva for team sports in order to enable the young athletes to combine their passion, and their future reconversion. This thesis will concentrate on three football academies in Europe: Crystal Palace FC in England, The Olympique Lyonnais in France, and Servette FC in Switzerland. The goal is to analyse what and how things are done abroad, and to give recommendations to improve the current measures in Geneva.